Window Replacement Tips to Ensure You Get Great Results
New windows, expertly installed by Lifetime Exteriors, can brighten the atmosphere of your entire home interior. They give you great views of the outdoors, bring the natural light inside where you can enjoy it, and protect your home from the elements. They come with a variety of customization features to choose from, and you’ll want to be intentional about your choices because they last for decades. It’s helpful to find a reliable window replacement contractor who will educate you on your options, and help you find the best fit for your needs and budget.
As you approach your replacement window selection and installation, here are some tips to help you get started on the right foot so you’ll get the optimal results from your investment.
1. Get a jump-start on window shopping
If your windows are beginning to fail and show signs that they’ve reached their lifespan, now is a great time to begin finding the right contractor and choosing your new windows. How do you know if windows need to be replaced? Look for these signs:
- Is it hard to open or close your current windows?
- Are your windows so old they look dull or stained and hinder your views?
- Do you have single pane windows, and you want to increase your energy efficiency to double or triple panes to save on utilities?
- Is there excessive noise intrusion in your home due to aircraft, trains, traffic, or heavy equipment?
- Does it feel drafty inside your home near your windows, even when they are closed?
- Are your window frames warped or rotten from moisture penetration?
- Did one of your home’s windows break? If so, get it replaced promptly for your safety.
- Does the locking system on your current windows work properly?
2. When it comes to installation, avoid the temptation to DIY
When windows are installed by experienced professionals, energy efficiency results. Window installation shouldn’t be done as a DIY project. Proper installation is just as important as your window frame material and glass choice, so by all means, hire a trustworthy company to install your new windows. You’ll get fabulous results for years to come when your windows are installed correctly.
3. A precise fit makes all the difference
Installation professionals measure to get the precise dimensions of your window opening and install your new windows within 1/8th of an inch of the opening size. This is another reason to hire a reputable contractor to install your windows the right way the first time.
4. Learn about your options
Ask detailed questions about your options. Find out about how easy the windows are to clean, how energy-efficient they are, if they resist UV rays to keep your furniture from fading, and more. Take your time deciding everything from hardware to screen options.
5. Get energy-efficient windows
Decrease your utilities bill by investing in energy-efficient windows. Consider the long-term savings that occur when you choose multiple window panes, get krypton or argon gas between your window panes, and choose frame materials that insulate well.
6. Stick with the safety codes
Tempered glass should be used in windows inside your shower or bath area. Tempered glass breaks into dull pieces, which improves the safety of your home.
7. Check out the warranty
New windows are an investment that you will enjoy for years to come. You’ll gain confidence in your window choice with a substantial warranty. Ask about the warranty details before you make your window selection.
Choosing the Best Window Company for Your Project
When you are in the market for a window company to hire, take time to get free estimates from 3 different contractors to find the best fit for your needs. Here are some additional things to consider as you narrow your search:
Research the companies you are considering.
Read online reviews, and check out the company’s ratings on Angie’s List and the BBB to verify they are a reliable choice.
Ask others for referrals.
Check with your neighbors, friends and family for recommendations on who to hire. If you’ve admired some fabulous looking windows that were recently installed in your neighbor’s home, find out who they hired to do the work and ask if they are satisfied with the results.
Contact your top choices.
Take time to call the best contractors you’ve found from your online search. Ask lots of questions, and get a feel for the company to see if they’re right for you. Take a look at their website, and read their online reviews written by their customers. Check out their gallery of recent projects on their website and find out what type of windows they install: fiberglass, wood, or vinyl. Ask which window manufacturers they prefer and why.
Get free estimates from 3 different contractors.
While the window installers are at your home, ask specific questions to get a more in-depth feel for what they have to offer. Here are some questions that may be helpful:
- Are window installations your specialty?
- How long have you been in business?
- How much is the estimate? Can you break it down for me into materials and labor?
- Can you provide proof of insurance for personal liability, worker’s compensation, and property damage coverage?
- Tell me about the payment plan. Note: if a company asks for full payment upfront, find a different contractor to hire.
Get Reliable Window Replacements with Lifetime Exteriors
Lifetime Exteriors is a window, siding, and home exterior contractor serving the Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA metro areas. We offer a wide variety of window options to meet your needs. Our caring, attentive team installs them with precision so you can enjoy optimal performance for years to come.
Contact us and get an estimate now, and discover how new windows can transform your home.