DIY projects can save money, and they work well for ambitious homeowners who enjoy doing the upgrades. But when it comes to James Hardie siding installation, the components that go into the mix make it wise to leave this one to the pros.
Hardie siding’s makeup is so dense, it takes a skilled team of experts to install it properly. And to get the best long-term performance, you’ll be glad you didn’t try to tackle this home exterior upgrade on your own.
Finding the right installation team for your siding is equally as important as choosing the top material to protect your home. Hardie’s fiber cement siding outperforms its competitors in a host of areas: durability, weather resistance, non-combustible nature, and more—making it a fabulous choice for your home.
Known for its 30-year non-prorated, transferable warranty, the James Hardie company stands behind its products. Its favorable warranty is honored when your siding is installed by a contractor they have trained and certified.
The Value of Hiring a Contractor Trained by the James Hardie Company
When you choose Hardie siding, the value of having it installed by an Elite Preferred Contractor (like us) will ensure you get the long-term performance you desire. Your siding installation will be done according to the work reliability standards established by the Hardie company, protecting your outstanding warranty.
It will give you confidence in your investment knowing your siding was installed right the first time, guaranteeing your satisfaction in its long-term results. Only top contractors are trained by the Hardie company and qualify as Preferred Contractors.
When you hire a James Hardie Elite Preferred contractor, you can expect a team who:
- Receives regular and random installation audits by the James Hardie company
- Implements a professional sales approach
- Gives strict adherence to Hardie Board’s installation best practices
- Maintains a satisfactory record with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and other accredited agencies
- Upholds a satisfactory credit report
- Is professionally licensed by the state
- Maintains liability insurance of at least $1,000,000 per occurrence
- Has workman’s compensation insurance
- Successfully passes background checks
- Has a homeowners “likely to recommend” score of at least 90% with GuildQuality
Combined, these credentials ensure that the James Hardie company will be represented by only the finest contractors in the nation. You can rest confidently knowing that you are in good hands with a James Hardie Preferred or Elite Preferred contractor. The professionalism, customer service, and results these qualified companies deliver makes the process seamless from start to finish.
Note: after Hardie siding is installed by one of their Preferred contractors or Elite Preferred contractors, a third-party surveying service does an assessment by gathering feedback from customers. This input helps in the selection of contractors for the James Hardie Preferred contractor status.
When you hire a James Hardie Elite Preferred contractor, your Hardie siding is backed by the manufacturer for 30 years. It’s tough to beat a comprehensive warranty from such a trusted company.
The Trouble with Hiring a Contractor Not Certified by the Hardie Company
While Hardie siding can last up to 50 years and perform optimally throughout its lifetime, if it isn’t installed by a contractor trained by the manufacturer, the premium results you desire may not be realized. Hardie Board has its own set of unique installation guidelines which are quite different from installing wood, vinyl, or other siding materials.
Unfortunately, many siding companies aren’t James Hardie certified contractors, and they don’t have the training or experience to install this siding right the first time. Here are some of the undesirable results of poor installation:
Premium Hardie siding is known for its high performance, durability, and long life. But when it isn’t installed properly, the results decrease.
Voided product warranty
If not installed by a James Hardie Preferred contractor or an Elite Preferred contractor, the Hardie company will not honor their 30-year non-prorated, transferable warranty. That’s a huge loss!
When siding installation is flawed, rain or snow can eventually find its way in and cause costly damage. These problems can be avoided when siding is properly installed by a certified Hardie contractor.
Best Practices for Optimal Hardie Siding Installation
The James Hardie company trains contractors to follow their high standards with precision.
- Clearances—Hardie siding needs to be installed with the appropriate clearance spaces from roofs to decks, driveways, steps, gutters, and flashing.
- Attachment—Nails should be either blind-nailed or face-nailed, but not a combination of both. They need to be a particular size, and driven in straight.
- Caulking—Good building practices include caulking around eaves and trim edges so leaks won’t occur. Caulk should dry before painting to keep paint from cracking over the caulk. And caulking should be avoided on siding finished with James Hardie’s ColorPlus technology.
- Cutting—Special saws are used to cut fiber cement panels with precision.
- Flashing—Correctly installed flashing—which includes installing siding with the proper gap between it and the flashing—protects your home from moisture intrusion.
Siding Installation You Can Trust
Don’t settle for subpar installation that costs you a 30-year warranty, and creates hassles from the need for repairs.
At Lifetime Exteriors, as a James Hardie Elite Preferred contractor, we install your Hardie siding right the first time so your warranty stays intact and you get the siding performance you deserve. We implement each step of the installation process using James Hardie’s recommended techniques and tools. As a full-service siding contractor, we specialize in James Hardie, and serve Portland, Vancouver, and the surrounding areas.
Hardie siding can transform your home into a beautiful oasis and boost its resale value instantly. Learn more about our James Hardie siding services.