Faulty siding can compromise your home’s protective layer and cause moisture penetration, leading to wood rot and mold. You can avoid the costly problems wood siding causes by discovering the benefits of durable fiber cement siding.
When looking for new siding for your Cape Cod style home, protect it well while you bring out the best in its beauty with attractive James Hardie siding. Avoid the high maintenance and repair needs of traditional cedar shake siding by opting for durable Hardie siding instead. HardieShingle siding gives you the distinct look of cedar shake siding without the high maintenance cedar requires.
James Hardie fiber cement siding is made of cement, sand, and cellulose. The proprietary blend of durable ingredients gives you attractive siding that endures its 24/7 exposure to the elements with ease.
Low-maintenance fiber cement siding stands up to the harsh Oregon weather. HardieShingle siding gives you the traditional look of Cape Cod style, but with a modern, durable siding material. Reduce your exterior home maintenance even further when you choose prefinished James Hardie products with ColorPlus technology. Choose a beautiful prefinished color in the Statement Collection, or consider one of the 700 options in the Dream Collection. Get the ultimate UV protection, fade resistance, and even a 15-year warranty on your home exterior color with gorgeous Hardie siding for your Cape Cod style home.
Today’s Cape Cod Style Homes Call for Premium Siding
The Original Cape Cod Style Home
The simple yet charming cottage design of a Cape Cod home is an American classic. As its name implies, it originated in Massachusetts. Originally developed by colonists as a two-room home, it was characterized by its simple, symmetrical, rectangular, and practical features. One room was designated for living and cooking, while the second room was for sleeping.
Cape Cod homes originally featured a large central chimney and a pitched roof. These practical cottage homes were built to be sturdy and efficient to properly heat during harsh winters. With classic gables on either side, Cape Cod homes were traditionally covered in wood because of wood’s availability in New England. As they evolved, Cape Cod homes used shingle siding that would weather as a result of the coastal New England climate.
The Modern Cape Cod Style Home
If you take a look at today’s Cape Cod style homes, you’ll note that they have stayed true to their roots while changing to accommodate the needs of modern life. Today’s Cape Cod home styles are defined by:
- The original rectangular style plus twice the space to include more rooms
- A pitched roof with dormers
- A chimney on the side of the home rather than in its center
- Additional wings on the side or back of the home
- Elements of modern Farmhouse style may also be included
- Contemporary features such as picture windows and porches may be built-in
Remodeling Trends for Cape Cod Style Homes
While some may want to build a modern Cape Cod style home, others may prefer to update their historic Cape Cod home. Here are some modern remodeling trends for Cape Cod homes.
- Adding dormers—This provides more ventilation on the second floor of the home.
- Widening existing dormers—This broadens the square footage of the home and adds visual interest.
- Adding a wing on one or both sides of the house—This adds to the home’s value.
- Adding a mud room to the front entryway—This upgrade gives practical function to today’s families.
- Modernizing with HardiePlank lap siding and accenting with HardieShingle siding—This adds visual interest to the home’s curb appeal.
- Replacing shutters with decorative trim—This adds modern beauty while decreasing home exterior maintenance.
- Using median earth tone siding colors for the body of the house—This brings subtle beauty to the home exterior.
- Adding a pop of color with a brightly colored front door—This gives the home personality.
The Best Siding for Cape Cod Homes
Durable siding is a must when it comes to Cape Cod homes, particularly in the cold Oregon climate. James Hardie fiber cement siding is engineered to stand up to the severe weather Oregon faces. Hardie siding protects your home from wind, hail, snow, and severe storms. Here are some of the other features homeowners love about Hardie siding.
- High performance—Hardie siding maintains its beauty while protecting your home.
- Extreme durability—Hardie siding lasts up to 50 years when properly maintained.
- Low maintenance—Simply wash your Hardie siding twice a year with a basic garden hose and nylon brush.
- Strong makeup—Engineered for your specific climate, this durable fiber cement siding is built to last.
- Attractive curb appeal—Get the perfect look for your home exterior.
- Gorgeous color—Enjoy fade resistant ColorPlus technology by James Hardie.
- Outstanding 30-year warranty—Get peace of mind with excellent warranty coverage.
- Noncombustible—Hardie siding won’t fuel a fire, so your family is well protected.
- Customizable—Choose from a wide variety of siding styles to match your taste and complement your home’s architecture.
- Pest resistant—Avoid the hassles of pest infestation with durable Hardie siding.
- Woodpecker resistant—Skip the costly repairs that happen when woodpeckers damage a home.
Learn more about Hardie Siding in our “James Hardie Siding Guide”
Choose a Reliable Siding Contractor
Don’t settle for a subpar siding contractor. Get the premium siding installation services from the experts at Lifetime Exteriors. We serve the greater Portland and Vancouver areas with premium siding installation.
We are a James Hardie Elite Preferred contractor, so your 30-year James Hardie warranty will be well protected. Our training with the James Hardie company combined with our commitment to their installation standards gives you the high performance you deserve.
Contact us to learn more about gorgeous James Hardie siding installation. Get an estimate now, and be well on your way to loving your home again.